Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
Ideas for the next tournament.
page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I think we can all agree that the tournament we just tried to do sucked.

I made a list of things that we can do next time that would hopefully make things run a lot smoother. Please make suggestions so that we can run this like a machine next time.

-1- If possible we will move the tournament to Iccup, and require that all entries must be running antihack during the tournament for optimal latency.

-2- Someone who knows what they are doing will make a forum post on Team Liquid a week prior to the competition. This person will also be in charge of putting updates of the tournament on the forum, and summarizing it at the end.

-3- We will have a one hour period before the tournament starts where people can enter by going to op bwmn. We will specify that entries will not be accepted after this point. The person in charge of registering entries will construct a bracket at the end of this period.

-4- Once a person is registered they will be sent to op bwmn2 where someone in that channel will make sure they have the mappack. (I recomend either Crystal or Freakling do this since they did the work for it in the first place) From this point they will be free to go anywhere they please, because we will have their name listed and on the bracket.

-5- When the bracket has been constructed, The person who made it will be in charge of assigning matchups to the moderators in #6.

-6- We will gather an appropriate number of moderators that can host matches for the players. these moderators will be assigned a matchup, and host all 3 games between those two players. (last time I hosted every match and it took wayyy too long for 4 people)

-7- When all of the games in a matchup are finished the moderator will report the winner to whoever constructed the brackets, they will also save the replays into in an appropriately labeled folder, and send them to the person in #2.

-8- All the matches in one level of the brackets will be completed before moving on the the next level. Hopefully this will make things run a little more smoothly.

-9- We will decide on a method for choosing maps for the tournament. This method will replace #9.

-10- We get a better bot, or multiple bots to operate both channels.

-11- Suggestions?
modified by K_A
2011, 07, 28 21:40
We get a cooler bot that doesn't screw up. +_+
Looks good!
2011, 07, 28 21:43
http://www.iccup.com/starcraft/tourney.html

Check that out. ICCup makes it easy for users to create their own Tournament. The brackets are created on the spot on the ICCup website randomly, so nobody has to do this by hand, and replay uploads to confirm wins/losses are provided.

Not only that, but the registration is taken care of by the ICCup website, too. It would be way easier to use ICCup.

I also recommend you guys analyze different tournaments that are going on, such as MSL, OSL, ISL, or w/e, because they are successful tournaments. We need to copy as much from these as possible because:
(1)People are familiar with this setup for tournaments.
(2)Makes the tournament seem more professional.

Also, if we do the tournament on ICCup, we can ask for help from the ICCup Admin team. If we do this, we have more experienced people working with us, and they have REAL authority in the ICCup server.

Not only that, but if we get some ICCup admins to help us out, we can get them to hand out PRIZES to the winners. On ICCup, (if no one knows) people are assigned ranks based on their points they receive in ladder games after winning games. WE NEED TO GET INCENTIVES FOR PLAYERS TO WANT TO PLAY IN THE TOURNEY. I'm not entirely sure it would work, because our maps are NOT ICCup ladder maps by any means, but we can ask.

ICCup ladder points for winners as prizes is my idea.

Also, picking maps should NOT be done once the Tournament begins because it creates confusion and it simply takes too long. The maps for each round need to be clearly stated so that even the dumbest of people can understand and not ask "whats the next map?" 100 times.

Last but not least, the PLAYERS SHOULD HOST THEIR OWN GAMES IF POSSIBLE. The replay uploads confirm the wins/losses and they can be checked to see if anyone won or lost a game illegally. Also, the Anti-hack provided on ICCup takes care of the "attracting hackers" part. Having the moderators unnecessarily hosting games when they could be doing other things makes things work out less efficiently as the Tourney goes on.

These are my suggestions.
modified by JungleTerrain
2011, 07, 28 22:44
so much stuff.. :>
2011, 07, 28 23:37
only people who have nothing else to do would read that. +_+
2011, 07, 29 01:06
I wouldn't be too upset about it, considering how fast it was thrown together.

If we are trying to repeat this we should maintain a steady map pack, get maps in and out and stuff, but it needs to be stable a week or so before tournament so people can actually get the maps and it should be uploaded somewhere off-site where ZIPs are actually not a problem...

And yes, actual map selection... Having a pre selected/randomized order would in deed help... At least some one should competendly do it, not this whole ".roll 6... Oh no... .roll 5.... .roll 1000 lulz" business...

Registrations should place in advance, obviously... ICCup is the obvious solution.

And people should actually get clearly defined assignments like channel moderation. Keeping track of the results, checking replays if there's some dispute etc. Acting like a bunch of jerks who don't know what they does not actually help in attracting players when they are already sceptic because of the unknown "OMG, noob-map"-pool.
2011, 07, 29 01:28
I got this from the Iccup Tournaments rules page.

3.4 Every match must be played on the map specified by the Admin hosting the Tour; in Bo3 or Bo5 rounds, the loser of the game just played picks the map for the next match; only maps contained in the official iCCup MapPack are allowed to be used in Tournaments; matches played on any other map are invalid. The only exception to this rule is the choosing of an Obs-type map, which might not be part of the MapPack yet, by an official iCCup-Streamer or-Caster.

It doesn't look like they are going to allow that O.o
modified by K_A
2011, 07, 29 04:00
And then, they are going to put melting pot on iccup mappack :O!!!!

I like the idea ot make the tourney on iccup. I don't know if we can make the tour using the tour section of iccup, cause they ask for maps, and only has iccup maps in options. But using antihack can help latency and hacking :P

And publicity is completely necessary >.<
2011, 07, 29 04:10
If we can't use their tournament software we won't be able to do any of the stuff freakling said. Although that makes things harder, we could still manage it ourselves if we got a few more people to help.
2011, 07, 29 04:28
I'm sure we can come to reason with them.
2011, 07, 29 05:59
Using the software would be perfeectly viable, wouldn't it? Only the ICCup-points as a price point is a problem... But, seriously, organization and publicity are the outstanding points to overcome first.
What about TL-Net? Also seems like a good spot for publicity and also to get some additional feedback on the map pool.
2011, 07, 29 15:48
I posted our last tourney there the day of, and the responses were very promising. If there's someone here who is more familiar with their forums I think they would be better fitted to making posts there.

Does anyone here frequent TL that would be willing to make us a formal invitation?
2011, 07, 29 16:14
Using the software would be perfeectly viable, wouldn't it? Only the ICCup-points as a price point is a problem
Anything related to the check-in system or point values would be off limits. The only thing we are allowed to do is use their AH, and use their servers.
2011, 07, 29 16:27
I usually visit TL, but i never made a post there before.
I think if we have everything ready 1 week before, i can make a post for us :P
2011, 07, 29 16:51
If you do you'll need to update it with all the information before and after the tournament. They've got this weird template or something and I had no idea how it was supposed to work O.o
2011, 07, 29 17:42
I can update if there are views.
What template are you talking about? I can make it like the other tournamets or just see the eywa's tournament and make a post like that, and update it.
My clan has a webpage and we usually post info about tournaments like that, with the maps, the result, the brackets, etc etc.

We don't neet to make something complex. We jsut need to make easy to understand and update it :P
2011, 07, 29 18:05
ok cool I also found this tournament bracket website I think we can use this instead of iccup.
2011, 07, 29 18:15
Ok.. we can use that, and we are not to have problem about maps, but what about prize? Points were a good idea >.<
2011, 07, 29 18:18
"3.4 Every match must be played on the map specified by the Admin hosting the Tour; in Bo3 or Bo5 rounds, the loser of the game just played picks the map for the next match; only maps contained in the official iCCup MapPack are allowed to be used in Tournaments; matches played on any other map are invalid. The only exception to this rule is the choosing of an Obs-type map, which might not be part of the MapPack yet, by an official iCCup-Streamer or-Caster."

Yeah, I feared that, and expected it. I wonder if it would be too much of a long shot to try to get some BWMN maps into the ICCup mappool again. I don't have many strong ties with any of the Super Admins on ICCup, but I wonder how BWMN was able to do it before. I think Nightmarjoo was good friends with Yello-Ant, one of the top ICCup admins, basically, and Nmjoo was able to convince him to allow some maps into the map pool.

If only we could do this again...
2011, 07, 30 09:03
We would need to start projects that take months instead of weeks, that kind of quality that even iccup maps dont have. That will be how we get them in.
2011, 07, 30 09:13
yello-ant@hotmail.com

No clue if he's an iccup admin anymore, or if he uses msn, I haven't logged on msn in months. I dunno if I can help at all, but if you think I can, pming me at teamliquid is a pretty reliable way to contact me. I don't view bwm much anymore ._>

You can upload files (such as .zip mappacks) here (admins can).

My understanding is the iccup admins are incompetent, uncaring, and sometimes even malicious, so if you can avoid them you might be better off. z33k.com is used for sc2 tournies, I think you could use it for a bw tourney too.
2011, 08, 04 12:15
page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (2)Tourniquet
Newest updates:
  (2)Odd-Eye 4.2
  (4)Maw of the Dee..
  (4)Diamondback 1.1
  (4)Aquamarine 1.01
  (8)19977383763838..