Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
PRO maps update
page: 1 2 3
Some people might not even know it, but the initial purpose of this homepage and the map database was not only to offer a home for melee map makers, but to have a complete DB of former and currenct pro /semi pro maps. Unfortunatly I was pretty inactive as a gamer in the past months, so there are many maps I dont even know. I would be glad if you could help keeping the DB up to date by uploading missing maps to the database, or at least post the names of missing maps in this thread to ease the search for map files.

thanks for your attention.
modified by panschk[FP]
2006, 05, 26 01:03
You know, I do not like the idea that those map categories are called "Pro" and "Classic."

I believe they should be called something else so that it refers to maps used in big competitions or something like that. Because if you use the term "Pro," it makes it sound as though these maps are on a higher level than maps made by people like us. These maps are of a Different level, not necessarily a Higher level. It sounds as though only the maps made by those korean people are worthy of this category. Although alot of our BWMN maps are nowhere close to some of the "pro" map levels, alot of our good BWMN maps are also just as good. Infact, many BWMN maps are even used in big tournaments/leagues like PGTour.net.

So by renaming this category, you can then be more than freely put maps like Arena, Sattarchasm, signal, nightlight, etc, in them because all of those maps, as well as the famous korean maps, are/have been used in major tournaments/leagues. The point of those categories are that they are maps that were used in big tournaments, not necessarily better than average maps (because alot of korean maps that are under tihs category aren't very good.)
2006, 05, 26 03:21
http://www.staredit.net/ the way they term a map pro is not only if they get played in tourney or koreans hosted maps, but instead a map that is profesionally done that alot people like.

Quote from staredit
Pro

Maps that are elite in design. The section also hosts the best submitted maps from the above section (once the said map reaches a certain popularity).

the way its done here is if a map gets played at pro tournaments then its pro regardless if the map is good or not.

I see alot good maps that not listed as pro by good authors here but not in pro.

Theres like at least 1 or 2 maps off current authors on here that got a great map made thats definitely professionally done map.

Think good way to see how well a map is doing is to have a counter to show how many people download them, like starcraft.org Staredit.net and take out the rating system.

seeing how popular a map can be with downloads counter good idea cause you can see what people like and want. I know this works cause my maps at those sites the downloads go threw roof that how I know 6 player maps is in high demand.

modified by king of 8 plr maps
2006, 05, 26 04:57
Yeah, but we aren't StarEdit.net
2006, 05, 26 08:18
and DL-counters are as easy to abuse as ratings
but i agree on millenniumarmy's point
2006, 05, 26 09:40
we really cant focus on SE.net

pro maps are maps played by professionals. I think this is pretty obvious and takes nothing away from good user maps here. Exactly like pro-gamers are not the best players, but players who earn money with playing the game. Pro-grammers are people who deal drugs. oh wait ;)

maybe another category for semipro/popular maps could be added. But someone would have to put them in there, It wont be me;)

I dont want to exlude any maps by mappers from here, but on the other hand I dont want half of the maps to be called "pro" or even be in the same category as Gaema Gowon and Nostalgia. So user maps with more than 1000 games on it could be called pro if you want, ok? :)
2006, 05, 26 11:47
King of 8 Player maps, I manage the DLDB there at staredit.net, and the only maps I put there are the korean maps used in big tourneys. Every map in the pro section there could be found in our Classic And Pro sections.

But I also wanted that section renamed. I was telling the administrators of Staredit to renamed it to something, just like how I mentioned previously. But they said they probably can't do anything until SENv5 comes out, which hopefully should be soon.
2006, 05, 26 19:14
classic is a stupid name for a category. somehow mixing together outdated pro maps, outdated blizzard maps, ...

pro makes sense. it's top. #1

we don't have a category for maps that have received some play but not pro play--we should. #2
2006, 05, 26 19:19
Then pro should remain pro, but mabe add popular map, but for that to work it needs to be made by a download counter, reach 500 downloads then it should goto popular section, but that work only if admins or website automatically add it to popular section.

Another idea would be to add in search by how many downloads then people will use that in their seach can also work

alot gaming site also after a good amont of downloads a map reaches it gets a icon "hot".

another thing i notice to in search when you click DB it doesnt show newest maps to oldest maps its starts out with 2 players as default.

modified by King of 8 plr Maps
2006, 05, 26 21:33
potential names for the 2nd category:

competitive
known
popular

i'm not really satisfied with any of these names. but if a map has been a wgt or pgt map, or a clanleague map, or a map in team liquid tour, or a european invitational tourney, it should be in "this cateogory". things used in competitions, but not quite what we normally call "pro" at all...

we should get rid of "classic", it doesn't make sense. either it's pro, it's non-pro but known, or it's user-final or below...
2006, 05, 26 21:57
ko8m, doesnt work like that. I dont keep track of downloads here, but even if I did, no map would get over 100 DL, I'm pretty sure. The important factor would be if the map is heavily played in PGT and to an lesser extend WGT (BWCL).

Please consider that whatever changes you want to make, someone has to apply them, and it will be quite some manual work. And consider that this person will not be me. I can give the tools to change it, but if someone wants to have our 1000 maps re-organized, he'd have to invest some time himself.
2006, 05, 26 23:58
you could at least add useful categories so we can gradually move "classic" maps into something more appropriate.

also, there is a very finite number of pro maps and then a very finite number of league/ladder/tourney non-pro maps... i think for those two categories you should not let anyone choose them, but simply have an internal list of these categories.
2006, 05, 27 02:21
Yeah it will be some work but its nice thing to have an automatic download counter beside each map.

My Event Horizon in 2 weeks on other site reach over 500 downloads.

My other map Warcraft reached over 1000 downloads in like just over a month, the majority of people choose 6-8 player maps for some reason.

That site gets more traffic but Im shure downloads here can reach just over 200 for a good map, theres more Quality maps here, so who knows.

heres the site link to
Event Horizon

modified by king of 8 plr maps
2006, 05, 27 03:14
I thought having a download counter for each map would've been a great idea, but then I realized that it would also reveal how infrequently many maps are downloaded. It would be very very discouraging for map makers to see the download counts for their maps to be at a low number for a very long time.
2006, 05, 27 20:02
bottom line (it seems to me) that panschk wants to reorganize the maps. Its obvious that either way it will take sometime revamp or add (whatever u want) new ideas/maps onto the site..

if some1 culd educate me on how to do these changes i wuld take up the job.

my suggestion wuld be to make seperate categories like:

1)blizzard classics

2)Pro
PGTour and WCG listed maps

3)Recommended BWM.N maps
which only the admins shuld choose (so the process goes faster)

and of course user final etc

on a more personal note to the admins... is there any way we can promote this site for map makers and gamers alike? so that our maps can become noticed more and we can have more feeedback (though there are some arguements concerning what this site was intended to provide the community).
2006, 05, 27 20:21
some map makers on here dont market their maps good, they just upload map and wait for people to coment.

if your adding in your opinion your best map, say it this my best newest map its got this and that and so and so, but for this to work you cant make same idea over and over, clone perfect balanced maps not ground breaking, koreans already know how make them, you gotta be better, faster, smarter.

Descriptions should be short and to the point

modified by King of 8 plr Maps
2006, 05, 27 20:37
don't mix up non-pro maps with pro ones...

current pro maps:
-current OGN/MBC maps (1v1 ones, not team league ones)

former pro maps:
-any map that was OGN or MBC

ladder/tourney maps:
-maps used in any other competitions with "good players", wgt, pgt, that aren't in the above categories. invitational tourneys, wcg, etc.

pro team maps:
-maps that have been used for team competitions (huntress, etc.) but weren't for serious 1v1

user 1v1 maps
user team maps
user beta maps
user experimental maps
2006, 05, 27 20:40
what about "league" and "classic"

league would be every map used in big leagues, koreans and non-korean (so sattarchasm and arena would be in this category). and it would prevent new users calling their map "pro".

classic would be original blizzard maps and maps that HAVE BEEN used in tourneys and leagues - f.e sauron, EtD, JRM (?)
2006, 05, 27 21:04
right on point flo .. good idea
2006, 05, 27 21:15
"league" is by far 100x a better name than "pro"
2006, 05, 27 21:25
and it doesn't say anything about the level of the map. with the current "pro", one might REALLY get the imagination, that those pro maps are all holy, while there are also some few user making shitty maps....
2006, 05, 27 22:19
page: 1 2 3

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (0)Suri Twilight ..
Newest updates:
  (4)Maw of the Dee..
  (4)Diamondback 1.1
  (4)Aquamarine 1.01
  (8)19977383763838..
  (2)Dusk_0.60