Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
motw..
page: 1 2
should we just let it die, or try to keep it alive at least for the rest of the year?

If we chose to not continue it, we at least should be honest enough to admit and make a newspost about it.
2006, 12, 08 09:58
No, don't kill off one of the most treasured things about this site...

Who cares if these weeks have "bad maps." It's not like all of these MotWs are going to become pro maps. The whole point of them is for us ordinary players to get together and try out new maps and more importantly, have some fun playing starcraft. Ok so what if you find a map that has bad gameplay? The point is that you actually tried it out; rather than playing some generic map like Lost Temple, you instead were testing out someone else's map.

With these MotWs, it'll create the incentive for people to get together weekly to test out maps. But without them, where's our incentive going to come from? We need to do this often, and not infrequently.

It seems like you guys forgot why you are making maps. It's not for the fame, it's not for bragging rights. It's so we can have fun playing starcraft. "THIS MAP IS UNBALANCED!" "P>Z" "T OWNS ALL" "TOO TIGHT." Stfu honestly. These maps are not for tournaments, they're not always for serious gameplay, professional gamer are not going to be playing on them; instead they're for your own personal fun and leasure as well as others who play it with you.

That's what MotW should be about; not so that these maps can become tournament maps; but so that it can bring people's attention to them and thus let them try it out. MotWs are exactly the same as waiters giving recommendations to his or her customers on the menu. It might or might not be good (most likely it will be good though) but at least you get to try something new.

MotM works too i guess, but honestly i prefer these things to be a little more frequent.

2006, 12, 08 10:39
now this year we shouldnt forget the motw for this weeks. we have 6!! motws left 47,48,49,50,51,52 and 3 week left x|
2006, 12, 08 11:20
MilleniumArmy, i have another point of view. Most of the things that you point are the same as i am here in BWMN right now, about the weekly tournaments, testing maps, etc, etc... But when we pick a MotW - YES I WANT IT TO BE PERFECT! Maybe some time a little more experimental, i don't care if it's not that balance, but there should be a colour to the MotW, so i am ok whit experimental maps. But many of the latest MotWs just sucked... So i really don't want to continue this anymore. I tried, but All BWMN members > Me. So i screw the MotW at least i give my vote, because i know that every vote is for a help to the one who picks the MotW, and i want to help. Whit the other staff that i can help - i am already doing it. Testing maps, tryging to organize tournaments and staff like this.

Good luck whit the MotW. Anyway if MilleniumArmy want so much the MotW competition to be alive why don't you try keep it that way? You can get admin rigts (if you already don't have) any time whitouy any problems by panschk i think.

And i am sure that many members will also say that they want to keep the MotW copetition. WELL DO SOMETHING.
2006, 12, 08 12:13
I think the current MOTW system doesn't work well at all. What's happening now is everyone is just looking at the map image and voting based on that, without testing the map (or in some cases a few games on it).

This is how I think maps should be chosen for MOTW: the first week the maps should be submitted and at the end of that week the top 3 maps will be tested the following week. During the test week other maps will be submitted for the next MOTW and so on. After the testing we will announce the MOTW.

In a nutshell:

Week 1: MOTW #1 Submissions
Week 2: MOTW #1 Testing, MOTW #1 Announcement, MOTW #2 Submissions
Week 3: MOTW #2 Testing, MOTW #2 Announcement, MOTW #3 Submissions
etc...

We could test the maps by holding a small tourney once a week playing on the nominated maps.

Voting will be like this: during the submission phase everyone will be allowed to vote for the maps they would like to test the following week, but after the map testing a group of 5 admins should decide which map will be MOTW. No offence, but I think we shouldn't allow every map-maker to vote because I believe people without map-making skills and general starcraft knowledge cannot be capable of making decisions such as deciding which map is balanced or not.

I believe this system will improve the quality of our maps and also make us feel better about them since we will have 2 weeks to test them and not only 1 as it is now.
modified by GRC-DeathLink
2006, 12, 08 12:41
Now thats something that should be done! Great idea, DeA!
modified by LGI
2006, 12, 08 13:14
next year we MUST DO this like dea supposed. for now im not an admin, but i would let the current motw system to be finished by the end of the year. that is one or two motws.

i would restrict the conditions of the submission. map must be beta, and uploaded at least 2-3 days before the comp, so that we could discuss about it, give advices about what to change etc.
modified by Antares
2006, 12, 08 18:51
I totally agree with MA. If you love map making motw should be fun and though we should and normally look for balanced gameplay, MOTW should be for fun. And everyone has forgot about having fun.

This site provides people (all of us mappers) a place where we can discuss and make maps, which in general, we all love to do. There have been great submissions here and i can garuntee its b.c this site panschk made provides us with the ideas, criticism, and freedom that we need to have fun making maps not for possibly the whole community of sc, but for ourselves also.

I do however like GRC-Deathlink's idea towards MOTW. We can do this if we find an admin who wants to take on such a humble task. A person who could make sure things go smoothly and wont give up if they dont like what the community wants to see win. Im all for it.
2006, 12, 08 20:50
I don't fully understand what he said; we tried weekly tournies to test previous motws, that didn't work at all.

I have been trying these tournies and it hasn't been working, I'm still here if you have changed your minds.

I also have been trying to reform motw for a while now, along with LGI, but you guys weren't listening the many times I or him or someone else suggested something.
2006, 12, 08 21:15
I'm not necessarily saying that we should accept experimental maps. I'm just saying that the whole point of these MotW competitions is so that we can get together and test maps. By gathering together and being able to test out maps, we can improve our map making skills as well as playing skills.

I'm not talking about the quality of the Motw maps; I'm talking about the fact that we, users of BWMN, can actually get together, discuss, and test maps out. It's not the results that I find significant; it's the process in which we get these results.

As I've already said, it doesn't have to be MotW anymore. What I really want is some sort of incentive for us to get together every week or so to test out these maps.

But as far as improving MotW quality, then I support GRC-Deathlink's idea.
2006, 12, 08 21:45
NastyMarine, we got a fun section here. It's called "Map DB". If it's not enough for you then go to staredit.com .

MotW is just one section whit 70 maps atm, which section is checked by people who want to add some maps for they tournament, league or something like that. And those people expect to see balance maps. Not fun maps. Balance maps. They even expect to see PRO maps.

Like i said, there is plenty of fun in "Map DB" where we all click every time when we come to this site.

10% of our clicks are on the "MotW" section, am i right? So we have fun alraight.

Now lets think for the people who are not having fun in this site and come for other perpus (check above for the type of people that i am talking about).

I can't be more clear than that. I hope you understood me.
2006, 12, 09 01:18
Agreed.
2006, 12, 09 01:23
ppl like u make this site unfun. Ur explanations are dull and are too arguementative. I dont understand why u choose to argue about something you dont try reordering? You hold tournies.. great [sarcasm]. But you havent posted reps nor you hav you discussed the maps from your tournies here either! The only one person i have heard discuss maps either from tournies or in general is Nitemjoo. So please keep on going with your explanation of bullshit ok. There is no fun here, especially when everyone has a god damn negative attitude about previous motws and how we should keep changing it.

What leagues have come here to look for maps??? I dont think there has been one since pgt ok? and yea, there have been a few ppl lookin for maps but not as many as u you are making it out to be. This isnt an official site where u can find perfect maps.. Ppl that are thinking of hosting new tournaments dont come here for new maps.. they go to mapdori, or ask ppl person to person on what they feel is a good amatuer map. How many ppl have come to you asking about maps in tournies eh lgi?

Im not boasting, but im currently working with some ppl about maps from this site that will be in big tournaments.. not a fucking small bulgarian league which u add a good amount of ur own maps to them ok. So pleasee keep talking about bullshit.

and btw. stop mentioning my name. how many times must i say that. I was not being bm so i dont need you trying to put me in my place about how my feelings should be about this site as a whole.
2006, 12, 09 01:33
we always discuss the reps/maps. just not with you because you never show up.
2006, 12, 09 01:39
NastyMarine, you fucking little stupid kid.

1) Click on the replay section and check from both UNTour 01 and 02 who submit the replays. Espacially UNTour 01. I DO COMMENT the maps that i've play on the tour. They are not many players in those tournaments, so many of my rounds i skip some of the maps and i re-play the same maps as in round one for example, so thats why i don't have comment on every map on both tournaments but I COMMENT EVERY SINGLE MAP THAT I'VE PLAYED!

2) The most recent one was the last 2v2 tournament on gg.net . They've picked (4)Rising Realm by Spitfire and it's not even MotW. Even if it's rare to happen things like this, the most important is that THEY HAPPEN, AND SOME PEOPLE HERE ARE HOPING TO HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

3) SEE AGAIN THE FUCKING MAPS FROM BOTH TOURNAMENTS AND TELL ME HOW MANY OF THE ARE MY OWN!!!

My first own map will be used in our inside tournament, just because they want it me in the team AS A MAP MAKER, SO IT'S NORMAL TO PICK A MAP OF MINE! Even if i wasn't in the team for this reason i don't see anything wrong to put my map in there. (P.S. They picked the map.)

4) FUCKING IDIOT!
modified by LGI
2006, 12, 09 01:44
dont call me kid lol

"2) The most recent one was the last 2v2 tournament on gg.net . They've picked (4)Rising Realm by Spitfire and it's not even MotW. Even if it's rare to happen things like this, the most important is that THEY HAPPEN, AND SOME PEOPLE HERE ARE HOPING TO HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN"

they did that cause i fucking told them to u idiot. do you really think they would have done anything with our maps if i didnt mention anything when i was in italy with the crew? please go on and on! And yes it will be an on going thing.. b/c im pushing them to do it! keep thinking that they would have done that on their own ok? No offense to gg.net but the majority of the BW community doesnt want to play anything that isnt involved in pro leagues.

I didnt say anything about our bwmn tournament so find something to quack about ok? I dont care which maps we play there. As long as ppl are enthusiastic about it. and we are, i have no complaints there. but its not going to any use. B.c from the way motw is discussed, it seems like we still cant agree on anything. again, im not saying the tournament is bad, but we arent putting it to good use. how about we make an award for the map which played the best in each tournament? and mingle that in with MotW? Maybe we can make the motw decision after the end of the tournament?

btw I didnt know you guys posted the reps in the rep section so sorry for that misunderstanding.

dont delete your newspost lgi, it makes you look like more of a jerk.
modified by NastyMarine
2006, 12, 09 01:54
It shows the trouth.

About 2)

I don't really remember the acc name of the guy in battle.net . One of the admins... One was GG-Artanis (i think) and the other one was GG- something... On the next gg.net tournament when i see the nick name i will be sure and ask him, does he or you LIE!

I will just copy our conversation whit this GG- guy, who was the only admin in round 2/3, because artanis left.

"LGI: Who pick this map? Why this map? I've just play it yesterday, i found an issue and i contact the map maker via ICQ, to tell him and he was going to fix this in the few comming days, but you were too fast and pick his map. Why this map? Who pick it?"

Of course all the information above were in more lines, i just shrink it.

"GG- guy: I pick it, i didn't know that there is an issue. Next time i will be sure to contact whit the map maker, befure using his map or i will contact you so you can give me a suggestion about future maps for those touranments. Thx, dude for telling me all this"

"You have been add to his/her friend list"

NOW IS HE OR YOU LIEING? EH?

About 3) well if you don't care - don't talk.
2006, 12, 09 02:04
i dont think I am a "kid" in any respect.. Just cause you dont agree with me, doesnt mean I am a "kid". You are too proud man lol. I dont think a 20 yr old is a kid. And nor do i give any of that disrespect to you either. remove it.
2006, 12, 09 02:05
I don't care how old you are, at my monitor i can only see a name and some text written. From this i make my conclusion.
2006, 12, 09 02:07
well rising realm wasnt my doing. i thought it was one of the members from the event team "piyade" who picked it.. Artanis never said much about the topic if you want me to be honest. I never suggested Rising Realm to them in the first place, they must have done that while going thru the site after discussing it in the forums.. personally i dont like rising realm.. it has problems with 1's nat. its way too open and isnt ready for gaming.
2006, 12, 09 02:10
Good night.
2006, 12, 09 02:12
page: 1 2

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (4)King Nothing
Newest updates:
  (2)Dusk_0.60
  (4)Blustercrux_0.60
  (4)Daedalus_0.60