ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
gas rush
page: 1
hey
i wonder for a few days now if it was possible to implement the following feature in maps:

every race has a package of gas, which workers deliver from the gas geyser to the headquarter building. i am speaking of the ton (T), the eggbag (Z) and the cube (P). now, you can place those items in SCMdraft as units. but unfortunately, i cant find a way to bring the workers to mine and deliver it to the HQ...this would be awesome.

i want to create a map where you have gas at value of ~200-300 stacked quite close (possistyle?) to your HQ, so you neither need an extractor/refinery/assimilator, nor you have to wait long for gas: you can mine it VERY fast with only one worker. this would enable every race to get a huge tech rush; zerg could make speedburrowling or speedlings/lair much faster and easier (you dont have to waste drones for extractor or mining gas!); terran could do comsat and medics without refinery (or fac+addon+vultgrade); protoss could get observers quickly etc.

this would encourage players to use different tactics, and would even develop new gamestyles.

i want this feature badly, but i cant manage to implement it to work properly. can you try as well if you - with some try&error in scmdraft, SF, w/e - can make it possible? maybe i overlooked a possibility...

my emergency case plan would be (which would put the map a bit into a UMS corner, that is why i'd like the method above more) to give players some gas RIGHT FROM THE START. it would be the opposite to mineralonly-mains.

how do you think would the gamers react to a map which, let's say, distributes 300 gas to each player at the beginning? i think there is even more influence on the gamestyle than neutral addons for terran. it would imo make the early game very interesting, because you get many options. protoss for example could tech to corsair in PvZ much faster which pressures zerg in this MU from the start on (what new maps with large distances normally take away from protoss). there's so many possibilities;
how do YOU think it will affect balance/gameplay?
and please dont cry "xyz is deadly and imba then" for this is pure theorycrafting and cant be exactly told before...
2007, 05, 01 17:23
I am pretty sure that the gas chunks you can place as units and the gas chunks the harvesters get out of the refinery are not the same. The actually harvested one should only be a sprite, no unit. So your idea probably won't work out.
2007, 05, 01 17:57
you will hve to pick up one by one manualy; when it delivers a gas chunk the worker will stop there, now you will have to tell him to pick up an other one manually (not shure if have to deliver it manully too)
2007, 05, 01 22:46
It can't deliver it like a normal gas chunk in the first place...
2007, 05, 01 23:10
Giving 300 gas to a race in the very beginning would severely devestate the balance. First of all, zerg has extremely fast tech, all they need is a spawning pool, blah, get lair, and possibly a 5 minute devestation drop, or quick speedlings and just mass lings and pwn all the probes and stuff.

MnM would come out so early that it would be impossible for zerg to do anything except get a huge line of sunkens early game, since lurk gas costs so much.

Protoss wouldn't be able to have much advantage except fast dragoons in pvt, yet terran would have fast tanks anyways, so protoss would pretty much suck, because their tech takes soo much gas and time.

But, iunno, if you test it well it may work ^^
modified by Superiorwolf
2007, 05, 02 06:30
carefully this idea could work. I have thought of this before but i was thinking it cant be done. But i never really tried. I say go for it and gl :)
2007, 05, 02 07:11
gas close to mins? don't need 3 workers? sounds to me like something that would appear in the new generation of fastest maps
2007, 05, 02 07:46
besides, this concept is already done by those crazy UMS makers; my friend was one of the first ums makers to contribute to "bounds"
2007, 05, 02 07:47
well, superiorwulf, you are kind of messing things imo. if zerg has such a deadly fasttech, and terran has mm so deadly and early, well, that is the absolute theory i didnt want to hear. you CANT know how it works.

crimson, CAN you use those tones/sacs/cubes to deliver gas to the hQ?
2007, 05, 02 11:46
yeah, well icant do it;; my ums maker friend can.. he made this one RPG where u have to buy ammo... u kill shit with ur ghost and there it those lil eggsacks everywhere.... scv gathers stuff and puts in the CC so u can buy Ammo so ur ghost can actually shooot.... kinda fun..... but idk if its just a trigger or not... neways fast gas = toss ownage; trust me, i play money maps too lolz xD~! >.< T-T
2007, 05, 03 00:37
Probably only a trigger. I have heard several discussions about this and nobody seems to have done it. As I said, carrying a powerup and actually having harvested gas are two different things.

Toss doesn't own money maps because of the gas, but because of the minerals and the way the race works (warping in buildings etc.)
2007, 05, 03 07:54
no thats not the problem with money maps; yes there is a disadvantage in toss building, but then again T with smaller army still rapes toss.... its the 5 minute storm drops on the money then turtle thats a problem
2007, 05, 04 00:17
You can just put it 1 pixel away from the CC or put 2 or 3 gases >_> or just make it ums.
2007, 05, 04 00:44
Conclusion, Flo: Impossible.
2007, 05, 04 08:21
page: 1

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (4)tihS dedrateR
Newest updates:
  (2)Dusk_0.60
  (4)Blustercrux_0.60
  (4)Daedalus_0.60