Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
Voting
page: 1
This is a draft of the propossed rules regarding voting. Please give me your feedback regarding wording or major modifications. Once we agree on a statement it will be posted in the "articles" section.

------------------------------------------------

BroodWarMaps.net allows mapmakers to vote for maps in competitions sponsored by the web-site administrators (admins) as well as for Map of The Month (MOTM). This is intended to motivate map makers to make maps and increase their participation in the selection of winning maps.

The rules (or lack thereof) regarding the selection of the wining maps in the admin-sponsored competitions are up to the sponsoring admin.

The rules regarding voting for MOTM are the following:

1) Those maps selected as MOTM are intended to represent the very best maps in this database. Therefore it is ultimately up to the admins to ensure that each MOTM lives up to this standard of quality.

2) Although your votes for MOTM will be a factor in selecting MOTM, it is NOT the deciding factor. The map with the highest number of votes will NOT necessarily be selected as MOTM if the admins consider that it is not up to the standards of quality that MOTM requires.

3) In the process of selection of MOTM the admins may require editing of a map by its author or may take it upon themselves to create a new map based on the original map for its posting as MOTM. The original author will be included as a co-author in the final map.

4) The admins DO NOT require the permission of the original author to create a new map based on his/her original map to post it as MOTM.

5) If a problem arises regarding the voting process and its final results the admins will be the ultimate arbiters of its resolution and their decision will be final.

modified by Lancet
2007, 10, 15 01:08
Silly ;P Almost all posters here are admins anyway, and most of us don't agree with each other. I think this is asking for giant retarded arguments. What we have now is fine. If we want a safeguard for bad maps becoming MOTM (I don't think that's necessary), we should just elect one person specifically for that task.

This garbage about editing maps is unnecessary. All maps are property of Blizzard, anyone can edit any map, these go without saying. Also, if you make one tiny edit to a map, calling yourself the co-author is just dick, and whether it's viable based on your rules or not, no ones going to be happy about it.

Save articles for something that are actually useful (BWMN Rules was the most retarded article I'd ever seen).
2007, 10, 15 02:06
Psycho, I disagree with you. You say that "What we have now is fine", that is not my point. I am not questioning what we have now. My point is that we SHOULD make it clear to our map makers what we have now.

1) Every now and then a new map maker shows up and when these people vote what they have in mind is that the map with the most votes wins. I believe we should make it clear to these persons what the system is.

2) Many persons when they make a map consider it THEIR map, not to be edited or copied in any way without their permission. We should amke it clear to the people who post their maps in this web site that this is not the case.

If we post this all we have to do if refer new map makers to the articles section.
modified by Lancet
2007, 10, 15 02:18
"1) Every now and then a new map maker shows up and when these people vote what they have in mind is that the map with the most votes wins. I believe we should make it clear to these persons what the system is."

It isn't? What the fuck? Who's been deciding what's good enough the past few months? No one ever asked me.

"2) Many persons when they make a map consider it THEIR map, not to be edited or copied in any way without their permission. We should amke it clear to the people who post their maps in this web site that this is not the case."

In my two and a half years of melee map making, I have never heard someone complain about this. Again, I don't think this deserves an article. Articles are for map making advice and tricks. If we want a policy page, it should be completely separate and new.
2007, 10, 15 18:15
The vote always decided the winning map in the old times of MOTW. It still does, with the exception of when you get really shitty maps, like Iron Flush, Desert Flower, etc. Erebos really isn't a great map, but it's not shitty, so I made no fuss about it winning. There's plenty of MOTWs or MOTMs where there might have been a better choice, but as long as the winning map does not have glaring issues, it wins if the vote says so. The only time you have actual issues with this, is when a map gets most of the votes and has glaring issues, and there is no clear 2nd place map which is more deserving.

Many people have often questioned the authority of the voters when the votes which change the winner are made by those who have not proven themselves to be competent mappers.

Lancet, templar is right. There are always exceptions to everything anyway, so those "rules" you made are fairly useless. There need not be rules if the admins are doing their job (keeping the selection of maps to be voted for full of quality). I got lazy the last few months about this, and it resulted in a big issue with Iron Flush, it shouldn't happen again.
2007, 10, 15 21:45
Then I can specify what you just said, that the vote decides the winning map MOST OF THE TIME except in those situations where the admins don't feel that the map is of MOTM quality. As to the exceptions, Nightmarjoo, there are always exceptions to everything (Flo raised that point) that is why the last "rule" is:

"5) If a problem arises regarding the voting process and its final results the admins will be the ultimate arbiters of its resolution and their decision will be final."

Hell, if you object to rules then don't call them rules. Just call them "informing people of how things work here"! If you don't agree with how I wrote it then write your own version and post it here. If we don't inform people about how the voting process works, I predict we will have problems again in the future with people not understanding our system.

But to tell you the truth, I really don't get it. It is self evident and logical (at least to me) that persons have to be informed about how something works in order to use it aproppiately. Why do you guys want to keep new map makers in the dark about how we operate here?
2007, 10, 16 01:43
page: 1

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (4)Fly Me To The ..
Newest updates:
  (2)Dusk_0.60
  (4)Blustercrux_0.60
  (4)Daedalus_0.60
  (4)Aquamarine_0.60
  (2v6)Rich vs Lean