Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
Competition
page: 1
OK, so I am considering several options for my next competition and I wanted some feedback. Several possibilities are:

1) Another "Experimental Map" competition.

2) An "Ash Terrain" competition to promote the use of this seldom used terrain.

3) A "Little Leagues" competition only for those mappers that have not won MOTM yet.

4) A "New Mappers" competition, only for begining mappers that say have only made less than a certain number of maps (I would have to figure out how many).

Suggestions are welcomed.
2008, 01, 04 02:33
Check this out - http://www.panschk.de/mappage/competition/showcomp.php?compid=23
2008, 01, 04 10:19
I'd join the Ash Terrain competition. The tile set is just too awesome to not be used.
2008, 01, 04 10:42
I'd join any of those... but, idk bout making it little league bc then i wouldnt be able to compare myself to u guys ^_^ lol

anyway, how about all of those together? XD
2008, 01, 04 13:15
i'll join the Ash Terrain comp with a (3)NastyMarine's map ;)
2008, 01, 04 20:24
Your experimental map competitions have too early a deadline for everyone to participate, and it's just too open a scope to encourage more than 5 people to make maps I think. Think hard and narrow down for concepts on a specific theme, to accomplish a certain concept or gameplay, use of a specific experimental feature, etc.
Sort-of same stuff for the ash competition.

I don't like the other two because they narrow the field of mappers of an already slim field, will succeed in making the front page of bwm look like shit, and same stuff as above -.-
2008, 01, 05 12:11
Well yeah, the more you narrow down a competition and burden people with map requirements the less people participate. I gave 1 month for the experimental map competition and even contacted people by PM and invited them to make maps for it. The way it looks I will make it an ash-map competition, I just need to get my brain in gear again after the new year and I will then get started.
2008, 01, 05 19:57
Maybe people just did not want to make a new map? I also stopped for quite some time and now I start to make maps again (well, slowly).
2008, 01, 06 05:23
Lancet if you leave it too open there's no more reason for making a map for your competition than there is to just make a map on your own.
Starparty's competitions were always pretty specifc and very interesting, that's why so many people participated in them. For example, he wanted a competition for 2v2 maps so that the players are "close" no matter what combination of positions they were in, and this gave mappers a good puzzle to try to solve. In the end I believe flo's map (4)allegiance won. Another competition was the "Last Glacier" theme, where mappers had to make a map with that theme.
Look back at the older competitions for better ideas on how to run one. Don't look at my competitions, that was just me trying to be starparty and failing. Mine were too broad, so mappers were like, w/e. The mappers who did participate were then confused on what to do, because they didn't have anything to work with. It's much easier to write an essay on something when given the topic and a certain goal to prove, etc, than when just given the topic and told to go prove something. Give the mappers more to work with than, "ashlands map gogo!".
2008, 01, 06 07:58
I think Ash is specific enough and reason enough with a few more practical restrictions. But I will look at the old competitions.
2008, 01, 06 16:24
Hmm, just wondering, can i work n post a map for an upcoming competition like this? You guys made me try a ash map and, so far, I aint as disapointed as i expected to be lol Xd
2008, 01, 06 18:11
Yeah, I think in principle people should be able to post recent maps that they have already made. But they must be recent as the point is to make more ashmaps. If I can stop fumming over some stupid things I am having to deal with elsewhere here I will get it together, give me some time.
2008, 01, 06 19:22
I wonder with todays mapping tools what mappers like Testbug and some other experimental dudes can think of about this:

http://www.panschk.de/mappage/competition/showcomp.php?compid=25
2008, 01, 08 08:07
"SPRITE DOODADS - AVOID, MINERALBLOCK - NO, MINERALBLOCK ON ISLAND - NO!!! TILE CRAP - FOR F*CK SAKE - NO!!!"

This experimental dude says, no.

2008, 01, 09 02:46
You can make a new competition. This one has expired... With new rules ;) .
2008, 01, 09 07:12
page: 1

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (4)Enomoty
Newest updates:
  (2)Dusk_0.60
  (4)Blustercrux_0.60
  (4)Daedalus_0.60
  (4)Aquamarine_0.60
  (2v6)Rich vs Lean