ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
So
page: 1 2
Lancet
So are we going to award these now? I thought Nightmarjoo wanted to give it more time.
2008, 02, 16 13:31
Nightmarjoo
I won't stop anyone from posting, but personally I'd wait... though I probably would've waited indefinitely on last moty too... so up to you guys oO
2008, 02, 17 06:26
Lancet
OK, if everyone agrees I will post the winners and they will we:

EMOTY: Mirage-II

(4)MOTY: Rise of Teotihuacan and Shakras (they are very close to each other and Shakras was leading for most of the competition until recently).

(2)MOTY: Sound Barrier.

Hey everyone, please remember to vote in the Ash Map Competition, thanks!
modified by Lancet
2008, 02, 18 05:43
Nightmarjoo
Don't post teosomething
2008, 02, 18 07:59
ProTosS4EveR
rofl, you really dislike this map xD
2008, 02, 18 13:16
Lancet
Nightmarjoo you may not like the map but you can't argue that it is bad, it plays fine, it has lots of reps, it is innovative and it is essentially equivalent in votes to Shakras.
I don't like Shakras and you know my grudge with it, but I am willing to post it. What is your beef with Rise of Teotihucan?

Also can other admins express an opinion here please. Nasty, Templar, Flo the rest of you out there, hello?
2008, 02, 18 22:27
Nightmarjoo
What, the fact that it has horrible gameplay doesn't matter? Shakras has bad gameplay too imo, but it's more playable atleast -.-
2008, 02, 19 04:56
Lancet
I don't remember gameplay being "horrible" but I will take another look at the reps. On the meantime when I have time I will post EMOTY and (2)MOTY as there seems to be no disagreements with those.
2008, 02, 20 03:11
Lancet
Yeah, just like I remembered, gameplay is fantastic, it reminds me of Silver Flush. There are a lot of "moving parts" in this map and it poses an invigorating challenge to the average player accostumed to the old run of the mill linear maps. I certainly would favor it over Shakras but they got essentially the same amount of points. I vote in favor of posting Rise of Teotihuacan and Shakras as (4)MOTY 2007.
2008, 02, 20 04:49
Nightmarjoo
I love it when the person judging a map's gameplay is a person who's last 20 games were vs comps, and the last human he played's apm was below 60. Not pointing any fingers ._. LANCET; fuck, sorry, tourettes...

I'll play teosomething again today, but I somehow doubt it's any more playable than it was the last time.
2008, 02, 20 18:24
lnept
LMAO

"the gameplay is fantastic, it reminds me of silver flush..."

anyone else see something horribly wrong with that?
2008, 02, 20 21:48
Crackling
i do :o
2008, 02, 20 23:21
Lancet
Old strategy, attack the messeneger not the message, booooooooriiiiinngggg. LOL! I wish you could see to how silly what you wrote is. LOL! Even people who don't play Starcraft but just watch other people play can tell tell the difference between exciting games and boring games and know when a player is challenged by a map.

Rise of Teotihucan is that type of map (as opposed to Shakras; sorry Crackling) and Silver Flush is too. In fact, if Crackling and Testbug had gotten their act together Silver Flush would have won (2)MOTY (again sorry Crackling but Iron Flush is just Silver Flush "light").

You may ask why are Silver and Rise such great maps? One word: "possibilities". The maps are a minefield of different way to attack, strategies and counterstrategies. These are hypermodern maps for thinking players not the boring old "linear" maps of yesteryear.

I said it before and I will say it again I will not pretend that I was not excited by a map's gameplay just to pass myself as a good mapper. I'd rather be labelled a bad mapper and hold true to my feelings.

: ^ )
modified by Lancet
2008, 02, 21 00:12
lnept
yea i just went back and looked at rise of tejeijgierjg.

Im not really seeing the possibilities. theres 4 mains with some expos between them and a middle with a bunch of doodads. so yea.

anyone can put together a bunch of little "neat" concepts and call it a map.(see silver flush) but if you have no flow in the map its just a pile of crap. theres a difference between good experimental and bad experimental, and you shouldnt sacrifice pathing for it, as it is not a "challenge" just an "annoyance" k
2008, 02, 21 07:06
Crackling
fuck possibilitys you are a noob so stop talking about gameplay
2008, 02, 21 17:49
Nightmarjoo
lol Lancet, I'm saying your message is so wrong and makes no sense, it's like having a retard deliver a speech, both the message and the messenger are retarded.

"these are hypermodern maps" O SHIT, WE'RE IN "NO CLUE WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT MODE, BETTER USE SMART SOUNDING WORDS TO COVER THAT UP".
Seriously, rofl, what is that supposed to mean? If you don't play starcraft at a fairly competent level, there is no way to understand how gameplay works. People who watch football games can be greatly entertained without being able to play it to save their life, but they don't have to be good at it, because they understand how the game works. If you don't understand the rules and whatnot of football, you can't understand what's going on. It might bore you, or it might not; regardless someone who understands the sport will understand the game they are watching; you watching a replay of two noobs going at it and calling it exciting is like a 4 year old kid who senses his parents' excitement at a baseball game cheering even though he has no idea what's happening.

tl;dr lancet you don't understand sc at all.

I don't mean to flame you, but what you're saying is absolutely retarded and laughable, even though you're very sure you do know what you're talking about =/

"Even people who don't play Starcraft but just watch other people play can tell tell the difference between exciting games and boring games and know when a player is challenged by a map" No, they just would rather see units shooting eachother than to watch players just making units. Also, I'm not talking about what someone watching a sc game cares about, I'm talking about what the guy who's playing on the map, and trying to adapt his understanding of sc, efficiency, etc, to the new map cares about. So, you like to watch players who can't effectively use their main because of its awkward shape, and because of its backdoor? And watch players cry in frustration as their armies get caught between the bad pathing of the neutral buildings, their shitty mains, and a couple ramps?
"The maps are a minefield of different way to attack, strategies and counterstrategies" You think the average player is going to waste the weeks of playing a map so radically different just to learn how it works strategically? This is why maps like Angband 3600 ft. fail despite being "well" executed maps. A map that only you, and maybe your buddy will play on is an unsuccessful map. It might not be bad, but for the modern player it will play poorly.

I'll address more specifically the "issues" in teosomething's gameplay after I play more games on it.
2008, 02, 21 22:13
Lancet
I have explained before what hypermodern is with an analogy to the term applied to chess. And I do not use smart words randomly as you do when you are being garrulous.

: ^ )

LOL! If two noobs playing is exciting because of the map think about how much more exciting it would be if the gosus play it?

As to the last issue, well it depends on phillosophy and expectations. What do mappers want? What SHOULD mappers want.

You can supply an endless stream of Lost Temple clones for everyone's favourite gameplay masturbation or you can challenge them with something new, different and exciting that will make them think and addapt. Maps like Rise of Teotihucan (ROT) a and Angband (and btw Mirage II and Sound Barrrier LOL!) fulfil this role.

HOWEVER..............................

we can go on forever, "Lancet fucking retard", "Nightmarjoo, putz from hell" blah, blah, blah, etc, etc etc and people here will do what they have done before; they will ignore us (or even worse, hook us up for another King of The Hill). So let's get down to business, shall we?

What we are discussing is whether ROT should share first place with Shakras.

So I am for it and you are against. I take it Crackling (despite the obvious conflict of interest) is against too.

Since others are not posting here let's look at votes.

Nasty voted for ROT first choice no Shakras, Starparty voted Shakras first, ROT second, Testbug Shakras second, no ROT.

So I do admit that Shakras is somewhat ahead plus people have switched their votes and now there is a 6 point difference (instead of 2 as there was before).

So.............................

how is this for a compromise. I will go ahead and post Shakras as the lone winner of the (4)MOTY with a big picture and provide links to the map thread and download, and then at the end I will make a short reference to ROT being second, no picture and no links.

I know this not as fun as screaming insults at each other but I think it is reasonable and it will make us more popular.

OK?
2008, 02, 22 02:53
Nightmarjoo
NO U

do whatever, that sounds fine =/
2008, 02, 22 06:36
Nightmarjoo
after you post that shit can is it can be flamez tiem again?
2008, 02, 22 06:36
page: 1 2

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (2)Magma Veins
Newest updates:
  (2)Dusk_0.60
  (4)Blustercrux_0.60
  (4)Daedalus_0.60
  (4)Aquamarine_0.60
  (2v6)Rich vs Lean