Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - feedback
map voting
page: 1 2
can we add 'who voted what' on the maps, as it is on the motm?
2007, 09, 21 11:24
It does not work like that right now. There is just a number for total votes and one for total score, it is not saved who voted for a map.

I dont think many ppl pay attention to the vote at all after the horrible abusing in the early days of bwmn :/
2007, 09, 21 13:18
Ya, I'd rather remove that voting system altogether instead of trying to improve it. I don't even think an alternative system would be needed then.
But I don't think that you should remove it, actually ;)
2007, 09, 21 14:05
It's like stats on battle.net. We very cool insiders can say "stats/rating does not matter, newbie!" whenever someone brings it up:D
2007, 09, 21 14:11
i still say we implement a 'recomended voters only' sort of thing. where a member is tagged so to speak if the admins feel that particular member has presented good feedback/activity for the community etc.
2007, 09, 21 22:57
I was actually thinking of making it possible to see the people which just go by maps, vote a number and never say anything about the map, as well as authors voting for their own maps :)
2007, 09, 22 12:03
Well, when anyone votes a map 10 I vote it 0, when anyone complains about someone voting their map 0 I vote it 0 too. And I had some of my shittier maps voted -1337 by a friend, so I obviously don't care about the map ratings at all^^
2007, 09, 22 19:48
@ Joel: But most of the visitors care :/ I already talked to some people who sorted the maps by rating and they asked why some good maps are 3.0 or 2.0. It's not good to vote maps 0 at all. No map is that shit.
2007, 09, 22 21:35
oh i totally didnt get what 'voting' you were talking about. lol

but yeah i think it would be nice to see who rated the maps.

Either that or we remove it altogether. Look at the average for the maps. terrible. looks really bad for the site. so either remove the avg. rating or doing something about the negative ratings.
2007, 09, 23 02:43
lol people really take it seriously? I am honestly surprised.
I vote to remove it.
2007, 09, 23 05:34
When I came first here, just to find some maps for me and friends to play on, I also did a sort by rating. When you stick around you learn that rating doesn't really matter, but it's the first thing new people look for.

That's why I think it's not a bad idea to have a working system.
2007, 09, 23 08:23
When I first came here with my really shitty maps I had a friend abuse the site's simple coding and html and vote my older maps -1337, I thought everyone did that... hm
2007, 09, 29 04:04
Some people just look for new maps to play in the office/with friends cos they got bored to hell with Luna lost temple and BGH :)
2007, 09, 29 12:33
or we could have voting for admins only. so there is a constant in which we go by when we judge the maps or when everyone judges maps.
2007, 09, 29 16:37
yeah, we make the maps and the judge sayd "i hive 5 points to this maps because of this and this"
2007, 09, 29 20:17
lol "I vote this map -1337. Why? Er, why not?" :)
2007, 09, 30 02:10
I have an idea for a new voting system. It won't have the stigma of numbers that seems to fascinate people like Joel.

We'll have "REALLY RECOMMENDED" "Recommended" and "Not Recommended". Maybe even take the first and last one out, and just have "Recommended". That way you end up getting a number representing the number of people who "Recommend" a map. When you do a sort in the database, you'll end up finding maps that were really talked about and saw a lot of views. Maybe limit this ability to only admins, but frankly I'm pretty sure everyone who posts here is an admin anyway.

Personally, there's a lot of maps I would just "Recommend" (although equally as many I'm willing to let slide into oblivion). I don't even vote for maps right now because A: I have to think about what it really deserves, and everyones standard is different so who cares, B: The system is all fucked up because of people who like to pointlessly vandalize the site. With a simple "Recommend" or don't press "Recommend", you severely limit the temptation (IMO) of anyone screwing up the system. Maybe some loser will make 20 accounts to recommend his map a million times, it'll come to the top of the list, and if it's truely awful and all the comments are negative about it, an admin can just delete it. Simple.

It's better than the YTMND thing we've got going on now with our rating system.
modified by PsychoTemplar
2007, 10, 01 19:28
We have a system for recommended maps, lol. You're an admin, you can even set them yourself.

The older mappers used to make threads for reccomended maps from id x to id x2, etc. They'd decide on which maps to reccomend. The system kinda just stopped being used a while ago.
2007, 10, 01 21:12
" We have a system for recommended maps, lol. You're an admin, you can even set them yourself."
So one person decides whether a map is recommended or not? Whether that's good or bad is neither here nor there because what I said has nothing to do with it. My suggestion was a democracy based system so that people visiting the site could easily search for the most recommended maps, and a system that would be somewhat more difficult to screw up. With what we have, basically all the maps are just in alphabetical order, with no sort of ranking.
modified by PsychoTemplar
2007, 10, 01 22:10
PsychoTemplar, i agree. my self i made 50 accounts voted 10 score on all my maaaps ^^
2007, 10, 06 12:43
lol morrow. but that's not needed, you can vote your own map like 10times, or even more if you want rofl^^
2007, 10, 06 23:53
page: 1 2

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (2)MatchPoint1.1
Newest updates:
  (4)Maw of the Dee..
  (4)Diamondback 1.1
  (4)Aquamarine 1.01
  (8)19977383763838..
  (2)Dusk_0.60