Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
Protection is useless now
page: 1
I've been seeing some talks here about map protection and such; how people want or don't want maps protected.

Well, protecting maps is useless now

because there's a universal map unprotector out there called OSMAP. It can unprotect anything. Not sure about all UMS maps, but it can certainly unprotect any melee map.

What's even more ironic is that the maker of OSMAP revealed his identity a couple months ago at Staredit Network. He turned out to be LegacyWeapon, the maker of Uberation, which was and currently is the "safest" map protector. And so for like several weeks, there has been lots of tension going on at Staredit Network, because the people there valued map protection, but one of their most trusted members turned out to be the one who made an unstoppable map unprotector.

The original version of OSMAP was released like about a half year ago, but those had major bugs. It seems like now its latest version can unprotect anything.

So protect your map if you want to go ahead; it'll prevent most of the crowd from looking at it. But if people really want to look into it, they'll just use OSMAP and unprotect it. Now most of the starcraft community doesn't know about this map unprotector but I'm just warning you guys that there are people who know about this and thought that you should be aware of it.
2006, 11, 21 22:11
I've been using it for a while. The version I have isn't working very well, especially when I tried to unprotect the OSL/MSL maps.
2006, 11, 21 22:40
waha, thats laughable :Danyways i need that unprotector.

im not scared of editing my map as long as they cannot edit in this DB :). maybe those fallen ones designate my map as theirs, but i see very small possibility for that my haters could take his vengeance on me in this way ^^
2006, 11, 21 22:43
I can understand why people protect UMS maps that were a lot of work to do, but for melee maps, especially on a amateur level like we have here it is and always has been nonsense.

Biggest use of this program IMO would be to make smaller(remove the sounds) and league-specific versions of the pro maps.
2006, 11, 21 23:21
Yeah I tried using OSMAP it didn't work on longinus, the protectors of it know what they're doing, so the map will remain obless -.-
2006, 11, 21 23:40
Older versions of OSMAP are bugged, you have to download the latest version of it somewhere.

Only problem is that I'm too lazy to find it.
2006, 11, 22 00:22
Millenium is back? How's it going?
2006, 11, 22 01:46
Nope, Korean maps use very lame protection ;)
OSMap was unable to unprotect it because it's crap. It's even written in VBasic...

OSMap can unprotect a good number of maps, certainly. But even the most current version is not working on every map.

I don't have OSMap on my computer, and I would like you to not spread the word about it. There STILL are idiots that rig maps. UMS, mostly. Also, don't abuse it if you have it yourself. Every rigged map makes one mapmaker leave the mapping world, and we already are not very many.
2006, 11, 22 11:39
The only reason I want an unprotector is to look at some of the 'pro' maps to see the sizes and stuff in the editor, as well as to make observer versions of the OSL maps. There are already many versions of these maps, so they obviously aren't afraid of people making new versions. Protection of melee maps seems quite counterproductive to the mapping comunity.
2006, 11, 22 21:02
MilleniumArmy open plz the new OSL maps like Vampire 1.0, with OSMap you dont have a chance with this tool!
2006, 11, 25 06:04
Ok, but is there a way to obtain that map protector?
2006, 11, 25 06:40
here for you, the mapdownload: http://www.yaoyuan.com/download.php?action=map&id=339

i wait!
2006, 11, 25 17:11
lol dario the link provided links to a protected vampire -.-
2006, 11, 25 19:38
Dario, that's not my question. Is there a link to the map protector that that map uses?
2006, 11, 25 21:28
"Protected by CPP Test Protector v1.6 by Unused"

Go find it...

Anyways, I am almost done with unprotecting it. I found some weird things :p
Well, some copy/paste now...
modified by spinesheath
2006, 11, 25 21:44
Hmm, dunno what I missed... Still not done with unprotecting it ;)
Well, it's probably because of the string section, which was intentionally corrupted. My editor can open it though ;) As soon as I got some things fixed in it, I can clean up such string sections easily ^^
modified by spinesheath
2006, 11, 25 22:23
Unless we individuals can get a hold of whatever map protector was used for those maps, then my point still stands. Who cares if the korean people have that map protector which can crash OSMAP? The question is do we, users of BWMN as well as everywhere else, have it?

It seems as though none of us, average non-korean people, can get our hands on those map protectors which can crash OSMAP. But once someone provides me an actual link to the protector or their own map which used that protector, then I shall be extremely happy, knowing now that there is now a way for us (not the korean pro mappers) to prevent OSMap users from breaking into our maps.
modified by MillenniumArmy
2006, 11, 25 22:33
I had a closer look on this map's strings.
I noticed that some function in my editor must be a little wrong whenever it comes to invalid strings. I'll have to fix that.
But still, I assume that the crazy string indexes could be the reason for OSMap to crash...

Basically, in this map most of the string indexes in sections such as MRGN and UNIx are (almost) random numbers, quite large ones actually.
Since the understanding of the STR section is not really high actually (even SuicidalInsanity commented my research results as "hackish code in SC"), it may very well be that LegacyWeapon made a mistake at that point.
2006, 11, 25 23:26
:(
2006, 11, 30 23:15
page: 1

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (2)Sandorphine
Newest updates:
  (2)Odd-Eye 4.2b
  (4)Diamondback 1.1b
  (4)Maw of the Dee..