ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
we're being overrun
page: 1
We're being overrun by newbies and newbie maps. Yeah, I went there

It's getting ridiculous. They're making 20-minute maps and posting them on here constantly and we're not being honest enough and not making them aware enough that their maps are just unplayable and not fit for this site. one thing I've been doing is rating a lot of the terrible maps I come across (usually a 0 to a 3) in hopes that they might actually try to improve.

thoughts? flames?
2006, 01, 06 00:44
Yeah, when I came here, I was that newbie with newbie maps. I think I've improved by sticking around, so I think that's important to treat them okay. Although, I may still be the one of the ones you're talking about :-p.

BUT, I think you should be able to delete maps from the database if they are obviously not playable and they aren't being worked on.
2006, 01, 06 00:49
Yeah, but thats more work for us and also disappointing for the map makers. When I started it it was for experienced mappers who showcasted their masterpieces. But of course newbies need some place to start...

Anyway, posting 20 minutes maps is just not usefull. Esp if you expect long helpful comments-__-
2006, 01, 06 01:07
Just tell them how horrible their maps are.Was the same for me!You said my maps suck and I improved from map to map^^
2006, 01, 06 01:24
Yeah I realized that after I read the other thread. And it's true, when this started, it was for the best map makers. That's how all of you guys met, I'm assuming.
2006, 01, 06 01:33
Maybe we should just delete all noob maps?Oo
2006, 01, 06 02:03
But as panschk says, it would be somehow dissappointing. I wouldn't want to have my maps deleted just because i'm new. But honest and helpfull comments are the best things to do, in my eyes. I always comment like an idiot with a huge coment and hope that some people learn from it.

we _could_ delete those 20 minutes maps, for sure. but we should make people aware of the fact that this can happen and they have to work on their best maps.

maybe like "hey, you uploaded 4 maps, but this one is clearly the best. is it ok that we delete the other ones and you work on this one to keep up the quality?"

sounds stupid somehow, but that would be a way it works :/
2006, 01, 06 03:23
Maybe we should make some kind of scoreing system so that maps have to take like 10votes for example(users have to be registered) and if they drop below 3.0 for example the map gets deleted.

Then we maybe could make a limit to the User-Beta time like 1 or 2 weeks and in that 1-2weeks the map can be fixed and after that the map HAS to go through the voting system.

That way we would delete the maps that still suck!

Sounds fair to me because the Author has time enough so it doesn't fails the voting and the map can still be fixed afterwards.
2006, 01, 06 03:57
Somehow interesting, we should think about something like that. Other comments?
2006, 01, 06 04:59
Well yeah, I've been trying to do lots of comments these past couple of days. I realized that I am always checking like crazy for comments when I upload, and so are other people. And if you comment on people's maps and help them out, they might check out your maps and return the favor.

By the way, thanks for the big comment on my map today Listoric :D.
2006, 01, 06 06:50
About the rating and delete system, i really not a fan of this... Because i notice that when i upload my map for example (4)Xenomorph, one day later it was below 4, i tought it's just a kids joke, so i pupm it when it reachs 5.0 . But i don't like to watch and save my maps from childs...
2006, 01, 06 15:50
well most of us would prefer the system removed already :p
2006, 01, 06 16:46
*cough* true *cough*
2006, 01, 07 06:53
page: 1

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (7)Seven Sins
Newest updates:
  (4)Maw of the Dee..