Map DB
ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
Welcome from a newbie
page: 1
Okay, I'm totally new at map making. I've made a couple, but I'm looking for ways to improve them.

For each of my maps, I've started with a specific concept, and tried to build on that.

Without further ado, I'd like to post images of three of my first maps. I'd be willing to make changes, if needed.

My first map is a 2 player one, based on rotational symmetry.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/Logan_8_8/2SnakeCanyon.jpg

The natural and corner expansions have 2500 gas instead. The 3 and 9 mineral only expansions have 3000 minerals. The mineral blocks are stacked 20X and have 0 minerals in them.

The idea is to make it a map which makes early rushes difficult, however, the map promotes harassment.

It is BIG for a 2 player map (being 128/128), however, the mains are very small. It will force T and P to build outside of the safety of the high ground.

My second map is also based on rotational symmetry. It is a 3 player map.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/Logan_8_8/3WindyIsle.jpg

Yet again, the idea is to make early rushes difficult, however, harassment is a viable tactic. There is a lot of wasted space on the top and bottom, but that is completely intentional.

It is a map using 192/192, so it is large compared to a normal 3 player map. The wasted space should help make the map feel smaller than it is.

The mineral blocks are 0 each, stacked 20 times. Each one mined out makes a gap in the entrance by 1 block. The rush distance is short once the mineral blocks are mined out, however, that is a difficult task. The map is essentially an island until they are mined out though.

My third map is a 4 player map, which I designed specifically for 2v2 (although I think it would be decent in 1v1, but it would give an advantage to one player based on starting positions).

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp85/Logan_8_8/4AncientCrossroads.jpg

In a 2v2 game, it will lead to conflicts early on. It also favours harassment, and the rush distances are fairly long.

What is unique is the shape of the map. This creates some interesting differences in ground and aerial paths from one base to another, based on the starting positions of the players.

I don't know how to set a password for my maps, so I don't want to upload them yet. Can anyone tell me how to set a password? Also, tear my ideas apart.
modified by lMPERVlOUS
2009, 05, 14 06:58
The password on bwmn only prevents people to edit your map entry on the page. You can set it when uploading a map, simply type it in the form and be sure to remember it.

Why would you want to set a password, though? A bwmn password is useful to prevent people from fooling around in map threads. But you most likely have a different reason? Most likely your worries can be argued away ;)

Also, you can just upload an empty map as a placeholder and just provide us with an image of your map for now.
2009, 05, 18 21:05
I have uploaded it. I will upload the other ones at a later date, rather than put a bunch up at the same time.

Originally, I had a problem uploading my map, but it's fine now.
2009, 05, 22 05:57
page: 1

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (4)Sand Waves
Newest updates:
  (2)Dusk_0.60
  (4)Blustercrux_0.60
  (4)Daedalus_0.60
  (4)Aquamarine_0.60
  (2v6)Rich vs Lean