ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
Island map: what texture?
page: 1
'lo,

I'm intending to make an island map (like gorky island, better idea, less problems) but there's one question that keeps bothering me:

What texture should i use? There are some requirements to this though:

1. I need 3 levels. 1 high, 1 medium, 1 low. (kinda like high snow, snow, and ice)
2. between the medium and low texture, there needs to be a possibility of a ramp. (like ice to snow ramps)

and some other things, too lazy too type out.

I'd use ice, but i heard a lot of negative things about it. The biggest one being that the ice minimap is one big white blur.

Thanks for you reply,

5pool.
2006, 08, 18 23:07
a) space - but it has to be symmetrical and no inversed ramps between low and mid ground
b) twilight - but the ramps can't be easily inverted
c) jungle - but high ground is either unbuildable or without ramps
d) desert - but high unbuildable, but custom ramps could not be pretty...
2006, 08, 18 23:13
Ice HAS 3 height levels, but not those you mentioned. They are:
low: Snow, Dirt, Grass, Ice (!)...
medium: High Snow, High Dirt, Outpost...
high: High Outpost

That's if you go by the height levels as they are treated in SC. There is nothing about vision/hit quote between Ice and Snow but between Snow and High Snow.

Ash and Badlands have no "high" level.

In Space, Low Platform and Rusty Pit are low terrain, while on Desert/Twilight the sunken ground/sandy pit is of the same level as the surrounding terrain.

Snow is bad decoration-wise and because many people can't stand the brightness. It also makes it hard to read messages. But ever since the new colorful messages you often can't read the names anyways ;)

Installation is no REAL option ;)

So, we're between Space/Twilight/Desert.
Twilight and Desert are almost fully compatible (try conversion with SCMD2), choose between those two depending on your likings. Inverted ramps on Desert look a bit better than on Twilight, but I can't stand them on both terrains. Tileramps are possible on both, you can blend with Crushed Rock/Sand Dunes.

Desert/Twilight is mostly a natural tilset, while Space isn't. You might take this into account as well. So anything that has to do with Custom Terrain (apart from inverted ramps) is harder on Space.

Space is the only tileset with 3 buildable (!) Terrain levels.

On Space, you can't have "Water" next to low terrain.

Well, that's all I can think of right now... I don't know what your map will be like exactly, so you should decide yourself.
2006, 08, 18 23:34
"Inverted ramps on Desert look a bit better than on Twilight, but I can't stand them on both terrains."

thats because you havent seen my arts :P
or with spitfires words: you havent seen my NSIDR/NSITR (new sexy inverted desert/twilight ramp) ^^
modified by Antares
2006, 08, 18 23:45
Show me :D
2006, 08, 18 23:57
we need a nice big rar of inversions of every ramp. srsly
2006, 08, 19 08:39
Well, this is what i had in mind, and for the ease of it, ill explain it in ice terrain:

Main: medium ground (high snow) half round.
nat: Normal ground (snow) quarter round.
Center parts: Low ground (ice) undisclosed look.

I know you can only build on snow / high snow, but I need 2 lvl's that are buildable, and 1 lvl that is walkable, but not neccesarily buildable.

the main itself is a closed off island, like gorky island. the nat is lower then the main, and has a ramp from nat to center. (like snow to ice, those grey ramps)

next to these 3 layers, i also need a terrain bit that's unwalkeble and unbuildable, but every tileset has that, so no worries.

Ill upload a pic after breakfast to give you an idea. (pls just don't steal the idea >< :P )

there was something else too.... im getting old, and i forgot ><

a bit like this:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
modified by 5pool
2006, 08, 19 08:51
Hmm, I'm not really getting that much from your pic, but I guess you'll be doing fine with space. Twilight/Desert may be fine as well, but I can't judge that from what I see in the pic ;)
2006, 08, 19 12:58
i think i'll still try in ice first (yes im very stubborn) but make the largest parts of it grass

that should solve some problems.

there's just one problem, are there inverted ramps for ice? (from snow to ice, grey stone ones) and if not, is someone willing to (help me) make them?
2006, 08, 19 13:45
I don't know of any. Are you sure you NEED them?
And I guess it would be pretty much impossible to make them nicely... There is not much stuff to blend the base of the ramp...
2006, 08, 19 13:56
dont need them anymore :D solved it diffirently. look at (4) island map (ice tiles) to see :D
2006, 08, 19 14:48
page: 1

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (4)Pico
Newest updates:
  (2)Odd-Eye 4.2b
  (4)Diamondback 1.1b
  (4)Maw of the Dee..
  (4)Aquamarine 1.01
  (8)19977383763838..