ICCup
Map Access
New map
Edit map

Forum - main
PRO maps update
page: 1 2 3
s17eoulnightly513~
flo... am going to mix Pro with sattarchasm????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? PRO important. make site look chobo, progamer map is not same as sattarcasm?????.................. or bill307 map, or blizre maps.
2006, 05, 27 22:29
flothefreak
sattarchasm roxx. with some small changes, it would be balanced in pvz, too. and as long as you only bitch around while never having produced a decent map, you are not the right one to judge this.

besides, there is no "pro" category then (because most "pro" maps are horrible), only "league".
2006, 05, 27 22:52
panschk[FP]
I did not want to re-organize the DB, I just want to keep it up to date. And thats actually what this thread is about.

And I dont want to add categories and just for the sake of it. If noone re-organizes the maps, I dont see the improvement. any volunteers?
2006, 05, 27 23:12
NastyMarine
Ill do it. jus tell me exactly what u want

re-organize ... update it.. same thing i think
2006, 05, 27 23:29
the dentist
well you have to remove "classic", it's a fucking dumb category. allow all existing classics to become "uncategorized" until someone changes it.

so remove that category, and add 1 that makes sense. we already have pro and user. we need something in between. classic is not the right name for it.

flo, i really disagree with you... we should not have a category that mixes pro maps and user maps that were used in some random shitty league or tourney. those should be in the middle category.

in korea there is something below pro but better than just "amature" or in maps case "user"... it's called "semi-pro". the word would be great to introduce maps that aren't "pro". SEMI-PRO should replace "classic"

also, anything but 1v1 maps should be in "experimental"... way too many maps should be moved to experimental or beta.

and you should really add a time limit to unfinished maps. if they aren't updated in a certain amount of time, they should be deleted.

THEN all we have to do is go through the so-called user-final maps and demote ones that aren't finished.
2006, 05, 27 23:35
NastyMarine
let me explain something to u 'the dentist'

"well you have to remove "classic", it's a fucking dumb category. allow all existing classics to become "uncategorized" until someone changes it.

so remove that category, and add 1 that makes sense. we already have pro and user. we need something in between. classic is not the right name for it."

to my understanding.. the classics are blizzard maps and and any retired pro maps i think.. there is no reason not to call them classics and they certainly have more credibility to be called more than 'uncategorized'

"flo, i really disagree with you... we should not have a category that mixes pro maps and user maps that were used in some random shitty league or tourney. those should be in the middle category."

these user maps like sattarchasm, arena, etc. are not shitty.. if he mentioned nething less than the quality of those maps i think that they shuld be removed from 'pro' but those maps are used in pgt and not in shitty leagues.. imo i feel these maps shuld be in specific categories like 'pgt' or in general: 'league' category

"in korea there is something below pro but better than just "amature" or in maps case "user"... it's called "semi-pro". the word would be great to introduce maps that aren't "pro". SEMI-PRO should replace "classic""

ur just wrong about turning classic into semi pro.. it jus doesnt fit some of those maps that arent played at all by 'semi pros'

"also, anything but 1v1 maps should be in "experimental"... way too many maps should be moved to experimental or beta."

i actually laughed there... thats the most retarded thing i've heard here

"and you should really add a time limit to unfinished maps. if they aren't updated in a certain amount of time, they should be deleted."

what are u a time nazi?

"THEN all we have to do is go through the so-called user-final maps and demote ones that aren't finished."

there is no need for that, and u have no say in what panschk wants to do with any map(s).. ur pushing the issue farther than needed.. that is going to an extreme and since this site has become a community site which harbors amatuer and pro maps alike they shuld not be deleted unless its absolutely necessary
modified by NastyMarine
2006, 05, 27 23:49
the dentist
let me explain something to you, "nasty"

-mixing pro maps with blizzard maps is dumb (classic). how many of our so-called "pro" maps are actually "retired"? you want to mix every generation of pro map back in with every blizzard map all the way back?

-mixing pro maps with maps pat thought were good for MOTS or wgtour admins picked one season with their other 92349238 maps is also dumb (flo's idea). flo's idea, if you read carefully, was to replace "pro" with "league", because "pro maps aren't that good anyways"

and why shouldn't non-1v1 maps be moved to experimental? laugh all you want, but standards are lower for 2v2 and 3v3 etc. maps. they aren't standard. standard is 1v1. everything else is experimental. sorry the truth makes you laugh so much.

time nazi? we need to remove maps from the DB. there is too much clutter and fair automated removal would cut down on the horrible cleanup job....

panshck needs HD space. we should have a system that gives maps a chance to advance, and cuts them if they are just plain abandoned after a certain period of time. it's more than fair. some maps will be archived (motw's, pro maps, etc.), some will have limited time (beta maps)... if they stop revising them after a while, you should delete them.

and yes, many of our user-final maps are not "finished" quality. maps should only be promoted to user-final if someone with some judgement thinks they're finished.

i have no say in what panschk wants to do? you're right, but i can fucking say what makes sense. give me a break. did i tell panschk what to do? no, i'm offerring a suggestion. YOU have no say in telling me what to do. wtf.
2006, 05, 28 01:31
MillenniumArmy
I believe our website only needs four categories for maps:

- League/Tournament*
- User beta
- User final
- Experimental

*name can vary, as long as it isn't called "pro" and suggests of "different" level maps, not necessarily "higher" level maps.
2006, 05, 28 01:46
NastyMarine
-mixing pro maps with blizzard maps is dumb (classic). how many of our so-called "pro" maps are actually "retired"? you want to mix every generation of pro map back in with every blizzard map all the way back

a retired map from a league etc or blizzard map is nothing but a classic .. u dont hafta like it lol theres nothing to argue there

a pro map that is still active in the BW community wuldnt be a classic imo and i think everyone has the same idea and wuld agree. if a map is popular but no longer played, why wuldnt u call it a classic? and im not even sure if there are retired maps to argue about but i think there are a few

and why shouldn't non-1v1 maps be moved to experimental? laugh all you want, but standards are lower for 2v2 and 3v3 etc. maps. they aren't standard. standard is 1v1. everything else is experimental. sorry the truth makes you laugh so much.

if u say so but any map with fuckin 4 players is definently a 1v1 and/or 2v2 map u idiot.. what are u talking about? i mite be mistaken (sarcasm) but the last time i checked pgtour has a 2v2 ladder asshole and im pretty sure (sarcasm) its jus as competitive as 1v1 so i dont kno what ur saying here and i garuntee ne1 else wuld agree with me... most of the mappers here intend on getting a map into the pgtour (even tho it may or may not be a long shot).. im sure thats the goal of anymapper here since sp got sattarchasm as mots. u cant possibly state anything else that says different or nething that wuld persuade otherwise. u jus cant.

everything else u say isnt wrong but it is an extreme measure to take and it is not necessary atm.. so argueing about that is not necessary until the issue comes up. and it is not for u to argue either. wen it comes down to it, im sure panschk will talk to the admins or come to a decision on his own.. u cant argue that
modified by NastyMarine
2006, 05, 28 02:35
the dentist
LOL this site goes out of its way to look so fucking newbie
2006, 05, 28 03:06
NastyMarine
lol if u say so.. i think ur the only one to think so.. if u were right, u wuld have alil band wagon behind u supporting ur thoughts.. i've seen none. ur suggestions are unnecessary and u shuldnt expect any one to listen to u.. as well as listen to me.. jus leave ur suggestions and leave it at that
2006, 05, 28 03:20
MillenniumArmy
the dentist, I agree that having a "Classic" Section is stupid.

But I disagree with having some "middle" category because it's superfluous. As I've said earlier, all we need is a category for maps that are used in big tournaments and professional play, a category for maps made by users on this site that aren't finished yet, one that's for finished maps by users here on this site, and one for experimental maps. That is all we need.

From what you've posted, you're saying you don't want maps like arena, sattarchasm, chameleon, etc to be in the same categories as those with korean maps. Most non real progamers game at places like WGTour and PGTour.net, and the non korean maps that made it to their mappacks will be played on alot just like the korean ones by those melee players.

So think about it. Why does this site have categories? Simple: to make it easier to sort through maps; certain types of maps. If people want maps that are/were used in big tournaments and stuff, they're going to want to look through a simple list of these maps. Maps like Arena and Sattarchasm belong here because they ARE used in places like WGTour and PGTour and other places as well alongside with the korean maps, which are all big tournaments.

And also it seems like you want it so that all the korean maps, regardless of how good or bad they are, are of a "higher level" than ANY map made by us, regardless of whether it's in the WGtour or PGTour mappack or not. That's just stupid. It's like saying White people are better than Black people regardless of how many successful black people there are in life.

That opinion should NOT be left to us. It should be left to the person who is browsing this website's download database. HE's the one downloading these maps; HE's the one that's going to decide for himself whether a map is good or not. And how he's going to form his opinion is by looking at the map's picture; that's it. It should NEVER be done ONLY by what category the map is in. WE shouldn't determine whether a map is good to download or not for THEM. THEY, the people who want to download these maps, are the ones who should determine for themselves whether a map is good enough to download or not. WE're not downloading these maps for THEM; WE're not babysitting THEM.

What our duty is, however, is to make it EASIER for people to browse through certain types of maps. The best way to do this is to categorize all the pro/league/big tournament maps into one category, and all other maps not of that category into seperate ones.
2006, 05, 28 04:03
MuShu
It may need some tweaking, but 'Leauge' is pretty good name for it. For example, certain maps are sometimes in a leauge and taken out, and sometimes put it again. For example, I don't know of any big leauges that are currently using Sattarchasm/Arena, but they may be used in the future. And you'd have to decide whether maps like R-Point and Neo-Forte would be included there, since they're played on PGT and are still popular, even though they were taken out of the OSL/MSL leauges this season.

EDIT: Nevermind! I didn't notice that there is a second page.

Although I think that the section with 'Pro' should be only maps that have been used in a leauge or an important even/tournament, not special ones like BlizzCon. When people come to the site and click on the 'Pro' or 'Leauge' section, they are looking for maps played in a leauge or are used professionally in a leauge like the StarLeauges and possibly foreign leauges, like AmeriCup. It does not matter whether they are really good or really bad maps, they should be separated by what they are. Panschk first made this site originally as a site where if someone wanted to find a map, they would automatically think of BWMN as the place to find it. So the 'Pro' Section should be maps that are used/being used in a leauge so that when someone comes to this site looking for a professionally used map, they can just click a button and find them all in one place.

Edit: Damnn, MA already said what I mean. But oh well. XD

modified by MuShu
modified by MuShu
modified by MuShu
2006, 05, 28 04:03
MillenniumArmy
Well it's good that we share the same views :)
2006, 05, 28 04:34
king of 8 plr maps
you should term classic just like they do classic movie, which is an old movie which is really good, thats more then 5 years old.

Blizzard should not be in pro at all but in classic even though they might use it in pro competition.

mabe you can do pro-classic and classic to seperate blizzard from old pro maps.
or even add cat blizzard and keep classic for submitted old pro maps.

think people here just want name changed pro to competitive, but others like term pro just like it is.
you guys are like going in circles.

modified by king of 8 plr maps
2006, 05, 28 08:16
flothefreak

pgt is a shitty league, okay. yeah, from someone's view like dentist's, all pgt is so inferior, no real challenge to him, being an (A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++)²

changing pro into league would work perfectly fine, no matter what crazy deliberations take over in dentist's brain
modified by flothefreak
2006, 05, 28 10:59
Listoric
I think MA is absolutely right.

If i come here and look for a league map, i'm looking for a league map, fullstop. If i'm looking for a certain map, i use the search function. If i want to browse some maps, i click on the category.

league
beta
finished
experimental

nothing more to say. all other maps that are great will get MOTW, and even if not, the author has it's motw, and you almost automatically start looking up the authors maps just because you think he might has created maps as good as his motw, or even better in you sense of BW.

Search function should finally be made via checkboxes as i sugguested half a year ago to make searching easier.
recommended maps are bs and the category should be deleted, as well as the mindblowing rating system which is useless and only harming maps ever since, imo. Or just an admin vote.

getting everything into these 4 categorys shouldn't be the problem after 3 categorys are already existant and used as such.

User Beta and User final... well... don' we have the chance to have every map here as beta, but if like 3 admins check a "i consider this as final" checkbox the user category changes to final?

We actually should really improve this site as we wanted to months ago. Maybe we should finally start with it.

Sortig out the maps into the sugguested categorys should not be a problem whatsoever. Think there are more than enough people who know the league maps.
2006, 05, 28 11:08
flothefreak
listoric stole words from my tongue :)

except for that i would divide "league" into "league" (current leaguemaps) and "classic" (blizzard and old leaguemaps). that would make a lot of sense for foreign people broswing here. when they click "league", they see arena, luna, r-point and so on. when they click "classic", they get a list of blizzard- and older maps. actually blizzard maps were used in leagues and tourneys back then anyway.
2006, 05, 28 11:30
panschk[FP]
renaming pro to league is 20 secound work;) Ok a bit more to change the scripts, but should be possible without big problems.

Actually changing some types in the database is EASY and fast,
Changing the scripts to enable using those new categories is MORE work.

If we really want to go into detail, we could also have all the competitions the maps were used in in some extra table. But of course, someone would have to feed that data, I suppose noone wants to do that.
On the categories:

I can agree with the list from Lis, I actually want "unfinished" to vanish. and "experimental" is not the category for every 4 or even 8 player map. That's pretty funny the dentist;)
2006, 05, 28 14:30
flothefreak
so we can agree on making classic, league, user-final (or renamed?), experimental and user-beta?

i like "user-beta" --> "final" more than user-final actually
2006, 05, 28 14:33
page: 1 2 3

Reply:

You have to be logged in to post
random map
  (8)Deja Entendu
Newest updates:
  (4)Maw of the Dee..
  (4)Diamondback 1.1
  (4)Aquamarine 1.01
  (8)19977383763838..